Sunday, May 25, 2008

Summer Thesis Studio

Today, I am starting a new Interior Architecture Studio.  It is summer and I am finally finally in my last semester of the program...oh my this means graduation soon.  I am not ready for this chapter of my life but here i go.

I have decided to do my summer thesis studio on retail design.  I felt this was the best way to combine my fashion design & marketing major/background with my new interest and study of interior architecture.  I began by looking at the elements that make up fashion and interior design.  I soon realized that the principle elements between designing for the human form and designing for the built environment were ultimately the same.  This discovery lead me to an interesting thesis topic.  I have decided to focus on a single designer, Issey Miyake.  I chose him because his approach to viewing form and clothing in relation to the human body creates a unique palette when translating it into the build world.  He designs using a single piece of cloth and transform the material into a structural piece of fashion that uses many elements of overlapping, movement, connection, and flow.  I was really interested in incorporating his design methods into a space that not only displays his collections but also provides the user with a sense of what is brand encompasses.  

So this is the beginning of my summer thesis studio.  Please continue to watch the retail space evolve...